Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Favorite Books of 2008

Here's my list of the books I enjoyed most in 2008. Some of my picks really don't fit into any genre. I read a lot of mysteries, but none were good enough to break the top five.

In alphabetical order by author:

A Gentleman's Guide to Graceful Living by Michael Dahlie

This book is memorable because of Dahlie's fully realized characterization of Arthur Camden, the clueless "gentle" gentleman and his aristocratic world.

A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson

A charming story about two men who stage a contest to see who can identify the most birds in a week. The winner gets the right to ask the object of their affections to the Hunt Club Ball.

Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy

I really enjoyed the story of Sarah, who learns to be comfortable with the next stage of her life--widowhood.

When the White House Was Ours by Porter Shreve

Shreve's flashback to our bicentennial year told through the eyes of a teenage boy is quirky, vivid, and heartfelt.

The Night Stalker by James Swain

The second book in the Jack Carpenter series is the best page turner I read in 2008.

No comments: