Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Made in the U.S.A. by Billie Letts


Teenager Lutie McFee and her younger brother, Fate, are alone after their father's ex-girlfriend, Floy Satterfield, drops dead in the local Wal Mart. The kids' father had abandoned them to Floy in their hometown of Spearfish, South Dakota and went to Las Vegas. They decide to try and find him there rather than be put in foster care. With hardly any money, it's a challenge for Lutie and Fate to survive in the large city. Living in Floy's car, they quickly become familar with homeless life. However, a mysterious person is looking out for them--giving them food and gassing up the car. As the situation gets more desperate, will the stranger become their salvation? In Made in the U.S.A., Billie Letts is back in fine form. The book is very similar to her first novel, Where the Heart Is, but has some darker situations.

1 comment:

S. Krishna said...

I've been wanting to read this book, thanks for the review! I don't post often, but I'm a loyal reader. I just wanted to let you know that I have a new blog, http://skrishnasbooks.blogspot.com. I'd love it if you checked it out!